By: Idaho County Free Press
A large, stately, vine-covered home at 018 West 1st Avenue in Kooskia houses Trenary Funeral Home.
A long-standing family in the Kooskia community provided the town with a needed service for years, and, though it is now owned outside of the Trenary family, that service still continues.
According to the mortuary’s web site, Trenary Funeral Home was established in 1915 by George Trenary. In 1917, he purchased the present day “Opera House Theater” on Main Street. The ground floor was a hardware store and the upstairs floor operated as the funeral home. The name of the business at that time was “Kooskia Furniture and Undertaking.”
In 1940 George Trenary built Trenary Funeral Home where it sits today on West 1st Avenue. Two years after completing the funeral home, George Trenary died when he had kidney surgery. His son, Claude Trenary, and Claude’s wife, Irene, took over the business.
In 1972, Claude and Irene’s son, Mark Trenary, returned from school and began working at the funeral home and eventually took over operations.
In August 2002, Trenary Funeral Home recruited Bob Wilcox who, at the time, worked at Messinger Mortuary in Scottsdale, Ariz. The Wilcox family arrived Sept. 11, 2002, and in June of 2006, Wilcox purchased Trenary Funeral Home.
Article Credit and Full Story